Komen Southwest Ohio conducts a needs assessment, which results in the Community Profile, to guide our priorities and work more effectively within the community. The Community Profile includes an overview of demographic and breast cancer statistics that highlight target areas, groups or issues. Komen Southwest Ohio then uses the Community Profile Report to make informed decisions on how the Affiliate can use its resources to make the greatest impact on breast cancer in the area through the awarding of local grants for education, screening and treatment programs. Funding for local grants is then aligned with the most significant needs in the community.
Every two years, the Community Profile Report is revised to reflect changes in the community, allowing the Affiliate to identify any gaps in the health system and to work toward filling them. Analysis of Southwest Ohio in the Community Profile Report includes the voices of those living in target areas. The completed Community Profile Report is an assessment of the state of breast health in the 21 surrounding counties and a plan of action in order to improve it.
The Community Profile is a comprehensive tool that:
- Provides fact based information to evaluate the current state of breast health services
- Identifies barriers to receiving needed services
- Identifies specific underserved geographical target areas
- Identifies service needs in target areas
- Assists with future granting guidelines and priorities
- Provides donors with a comprehensive reason to give
- Provides community leaders with vital information to assist the Affiliate with public policy efforts
Executive Summary (Nine-page summary)